I haven't posted in a while, because I haven't exercised at my gym in a while. While there have been a couple of walk-runs, mostly I've spent my time finishing papers, preparing for and celebrating the holidays, and reorganizing my thoughts and living space for a new six-week adventure.
Yes, a six-week adventure, because according to psychologists it takes 42 days to develop and maintain a habit. Additionally, many life-changing and course-altering events in the Bible occur over the span of or after the completion of 40 days. Either way, both secular and religious sources maintain six weeks of persistent change equals permanent change. I've also noticed in the past seven years since I started writing down and attempting New Year's Resolutions revisiting these pursuits weekly helped me to focus and stay on-track. I tend to be overly ambitious, and often need to revise my goals.
Ironically I'm continuing many of same pursuits since 2001. They are marked with an asterisk, while methods I used to implement these goals are in italics. In the past seven years, I learned that I need to make smaller, more attainable objectives or else I become overwhelmed. I've also learned that I accomplished more when I get up early in the morning, but only if I am prepared and do not exhaust myself before going back to bed at night. Perhaps it is silly to keep pursuing idealistic aspirations, but I find it invigorating not discouraging. Here's to 2008!
writing in the morning*
writing one double-spaced page every day, six days a week
waking up at 5:30am going to bed at 10:30pm Obviously I may have to forgo this goal today.
exercising in the morning*
laying out workout clothes and preparing for the morning rush before going to bed
cooking two afternoons a week
briefly picking up stuff before going to bed
blogging about my exercise!
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment