Sunday, August 12, 2007

post number five. some thoughts on today.

Today is Sunday, August 12th. At 9:10 in the morning, the outside temperature is very hot. I don't know exactly how hot, nor do I wish to find out. I'm content to sit in the air conditioned, partially shaded brick-lined apartment and be cool. I'm sitting here at my kitchen table, which was originally my great-aunt's table, reading and deleting old news articles on the RSS feed. I've been out of bed for a little over an hour, but I haven't accomplished much. It's too hot to run, and my thoughts keep twisting and turning inside my head. I feel a bit overwhelmed.

There's not really anything drastic or dramatic happening in my life. Yesterday was a wonderful day. I straightened up my apartment, putting away things brought back from Salem, and rediscovering what problems had been left here: the finicky toilet (fixed), thirsty plants (watered), cleaned sinks (which has become a mindless daily habit), and rearranging a few items. I also took Geoff to Powerhouse Seafood Bar and Grill for lunch. The spring semester coupons for UA students expire on Wednesday, so we used to buy 1 entree and get 1 free during their lunch hours. Neither of us had been to Powerhouse, as it is known for high prices. But the lunch was excellent. Geoff tried the blackened catfish, while I ordered the special: blackened salmon with shrimp etoufee. We both requested shrimp gumbo in lieu of an appetizer. Every item was freshly prepared, and the chefs balanced the seafood "bite" with a delightful mix of spices. And with coupon, the total bill came to $13. We did peruse the dinner prices out of curiousity, finding single entrees more expensive than our entire lunch, but our kind waitress advised us on which lunch and dinner specials to sample when we visited again. And we will.

No comments: