Wednesday, July 25, 2007

post number four. the twenty-fourth day of july

7am: I drove to Wilson Park, not sure if I told a fellow MA student if we would running on Tuesday or Wednesday. It was Wednesday, but I walked the rather strenuous trail several times before returning home.

8am: Returned home to prepare for meeting with thesis adviser. Became frustrated with the articles, the thesis direction, the history program, and all life decisions made in the past six years. Even with this dark cloud of doubt hanging over my head, I still find the time and energy to eat breakfast, clean up, get dressed, walk to campus, and read my e-mail- especially the news stories on the RSS feeds.

11am: Met with adviser. Discussed problems with the articles and possible new directions for the thesis. Avoided any discussion of doubtful life decisions.

11:20am: I rode the bus home, even though I could have saved time by walking, and met a person in a similar life situation. He and his 3-4 yr. old daughter were going to Fayetteville Public to get some books. The guy got his first degree in music performance: piano. With the less than desirable job market for pianists and a family, he decided to return to school for a degree in physics. Today, however, was library day for him and his daughter. The guy was incredibly optimistic and friendly; he spoke or at least nodded to everyone who got on or off the bus. It was a good conversation, a refreshing reminder that life is going rather well.

12pm: lunchtime at the apartment. cleaned up the kitchen a little bit. made a smoothie to take to work in my library-friendly cup.

1pm-5pm: workin' at good ole archives. I really enjoy this job. It's the second job I've ever had that I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. The other job was working on the oral history project my fifth year at UCA. Both positions involved working on fairly autonomous research projects, with some public service involvement. I complain a lot about incompetence, which stems from a structured pay scale unable to immediately reward competent workers. Merit pay in a non-profit setting is usually based on seniority and restricted by struggling budgets. This can be frustrating, but I chose to not get a corporate-friendly degree. And at least I am getting paid. In public libraries, volunteers provide much of the labor.

5:30pm: back at home again. I bought Smart Chicken brand chicken thighs because of the nifty coupon attached to the package, forgetting that I don't know how to prepare chicken thighs. (There was a bone inside each thigh.) So I fried the two I managed to debone, and put the other six in the crock-pot on low heat with the last of the boxed chicken broth and some white wine. They are still there as of 10am the next day. I also ate some Cheerios, which is hands-down the meal of champions. Just ask Jerry Seinfeld.

6:30pm: called Geoff about playing tennis. read some more . played another Gilmore Girls rerun while getting ready for tennis. Geoff showed up while I was dancing in the living room. So he danced with me. It was fun and sweet, even though he was mocking Gilmore Girls the entire time. It is not just a girly soap opera! not! not!

7:30ish: played tennis at Walker Park, where there is always an open court. won one set. barely lost two. lost two very badly.

9pm ish: started getting ready for bed. read some more Julie and Julia . fell asleep

1:30am: woke up to a rich smell of chicken broth and misplaced glasses. put crock-pot on warm and moved glasses to bookshelf. went back to sleep for 7am run/walk/torture something.

and that was the twenty-fourth of July. Nothing exciting, just an affirmation that life is moving in the right direction.

No comments: