Monday, August 27, 2007

post number six. a much needed update.

I can't believe August is almost over. It only arrived last week, I believe. I have been tagged by AD Allen to reveal 8 unknown things about myself. So here are the eight things; their agnostic nature is questionable.

1) My left thumb is double-jointed, while my right thumb is not.

2) I've started a writing time, where I sit at the computer and type for about 2 hours. So far, the writing's been crap, but it's out there to be reworked, reread, and rewritten.

3) I miss my old job at the library terribly, even though I get more academic work done as an grad assistant. I like the ambiance of working in an academic environment, and the assurance that accompanies a set hourly schedule. If only I had benefits as well.

4) I want to learn how to bake bread and make cheese before I die. The bread I could probably start learning this fall- today even- but the cheese is a different story. Barbara Kingsolver assures readers it is not a difficult process, but I am the woman who takes an hour to complete 30 minute meals. Since I don't plan to die anytime soon, there should be a sufficient amount of time.

5) If I don't like a book within the first one hundred pages, I probably won't finish it. One hundred pages allows for a good start, gives a sufficient chance for the story to unfold or for the argument to develop. Having to force myself to pick up the book after page 101, is a bad, bad sign. If the reading is required I usually skim it, otherwise it's back to the library pronto. Life is too short to read bad books.

6) I, too, miss Bill.

7) I *heart* watermelons, Anne Lamott, and helpful librarians.

8) Rarely do I pass on forwards. I'm supposed to anoint eight other people with the right to divulge on eight personal topics, but my research is calling me. Perhaps I will save it for later. hehehe.

1 comment:

Amanda D Allen said...

Yay! You posted. I've been missing you. and Bill too ;)