Saturday, January 3, 2009

the 100 push-up challenge and other work-out routines.

I'm doing it. The challenge was designed for a six-week schedule, but I'm planning to take nine, if not twelve weeks. I've also decided to forgo goal #1 of reaching 100 modified knee push-ups first, and just attempt full-body regular push-ups. really.

So what is the one hundred push-up challenge?

It is a fitness program designed to help people gradually build up their strength through doing push-ups. I'm on level one, week one, day one. I plan to repeat day one at least two more times, and spend a total of two weeks on the week one plan. A week in this plan, by the way, is three days, so starting yesterday-- on a Friday-- would have thrown off the plan. I did so, knowing I would be repeating the first week, if not more weeks. If I was doing the modified knee push-ups, though, I wouldn't be repeating any days, and might even have started on a different level. Not so with regular push-ups. I can do three in a single set, slowly, and with great effort to keep my back straight. Level one is the perfect start for me, but the challenge will be to continue to do more push-ups, and not become satisfied with just ten or twenty.

Doing the modified knee push-ups helped me to build up strength and to learn to keep my back straight. I'll keep on doing those as part of the burpee, which is also known as the prison workout. A burpee is a regular push-up followed by a jumping squat.It's simple, inexpensive, and demanding-- a great workout for me. At first I did the knee push-ups separate from the squats, and built my way up to 5 descending sets of squats and knee push-ups. Not 20 descending sets, though, in true prison workout form. Yesterday I put them together, for a trueer burpee: a knee push-up with a jumping squat. I did 5 total, not 5 descending sets, which would have been 15. It was frustrating to see myself decline, but that means there's nowhere to go but up. I had a lot of energy yesterday afternoon, and I feel good today. Just need to keep on keepin' on.

What workout routines are you trying on, adding, or modifying?

No comments: