So I've been vacationing and visiting with family. It feels so good to be at a stopping point, yet I still keep thinking ahead. Fortunately I don't have a lot to distract me, such as syllabi for next semester, or any schedule changes, or any reading lists. Nor am I physically able to attend to such matters in the backwaters of the Ozark foothills. This could be unfortunate, though, as when I do return from Christmas vacation I will have to face all of these things. So as to things I have been thinking about, especially since I went grocery shopping with my immediate family and had meals with extended family, is food. It doesn't help that Reader's Digest, my mom's favorite magazine to receive at home, had an article on Mark Bittman and his advice. read it here
All of this adds up to: Sarah's been a-thinkin'.
So here are some problems with pursuing a pescetarian diet.
1. I love chicken, particularly chicken broth
I love to add chicken to almost any dish. I love the versatility of chicken broth, and how it flavors dishes easily and tastefully. I'm not sure how to live out you, chicken. How do I live without you/I want to know
Something tells me that LeAnn Rimes doesn't know the answer either.
2. Cooking without chicken broth
I really don't know how to cook without chicken broth. I will need to build up a repertoire of non-chicken broth dishes, especially soups. I'm having a hard time thinking of soup recipes sans chicken broth that I like to make and eat. Wait, there's one, St. Basil's soup, which is good once every two-three weeks.
3. Eating more vegetables
I know this is the underlying point, but sometimes I don't crave veggies. Sometimes I crave meat. Sometimes I don't really want another serving of spinach. Fruit, yes, almost always, but the more I eat leafy greens, the more often I find myself thinking, "Ok, that's enough spinach."
4. Cost
Sometimes eating vegetables, fish, and whole grains can be budget- unfriendly, if not just more expensive. Especially if it's frozen meal, like Amy's cheese enchiladas, Amy's Thai Dinner-- well, Amy's anything. I like Amy's, but my savings account does not. Fish can be costly as well, if one considers environmental factors. Farm-raised fish from China are plentiful and affordable, but the environmental impact of these farms rivals that of the American meat industry. ugh.
The most cost efficient way to avoid pricey, pre-made meals is to DIY. The problem with do-it-youself, not surprisingly, is my next complaint.
5. time-management
Prepping, cooking, and storing vegetables takes time. You can't just buy a bunch of carrots, throw them in the crisper, and expect them to be there in perfect form four-six weeks later. Frozen meals can do this, and pre-packaged meals can do this to an extent, but vegetables have a definite and short shelf life, and were intended to be prepared and consumed fairly quickly. To do this, will be require a complete overhaul of my schedule. I'll have to prepare and freeze leftover every week. ugh.
So let's see, becoming a pescetarian means giving up chicken and chicken broth-- two staples in my current diet-- while adding more vegetables that will require more time to prepare, and more money for a back-up plan, should I become hungry at the last minute. hmmm. The next post will be a review of why I'm doing this.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Vegetable broth is simple to make and can often take the place of chicken broth.
Have you thought about just eating chicken occasionally? ONF has chickens which are grown ethically and humanely, and are from local farmers. We occasionally buy a whole one, roast it, enjoy it over the course of several meals, and cook the bones into a delicious broth...
That's a good idea. I think I'll have to ease into pescetarian mode, and slowly back off from chicken and chicken broth. I flavored some rice with vegetable broth earlier this month, and I didn't like it.
Post a Comment