Thursday, November 8, 2007

post number twelve. what was and what should have been

I need to clarify that I'm using this blog to hold myself accountable to my workout routine. Both are habits I've been struggling to maintain consistently, so I thought blogging about exercising- or not exercising- would help pursue both goals at the same time. The posts will probably be shorter and more factual at first, until I develop the habit.

Yesterday morning I stayed in my little warm bed, even though I first awoke at 5:30, which is the most highly desirable wake-up for a good workout. My mind was busy trying to sort out the daily agenda and possible problems, and so I drifted in and out of a meditative-like sleep for the next couple of hours, until I actually got out of bed. By then it was too late to go the gym, as I would have to fight faculty and students for parking spots. Plus it was cold, too cold to run outside. So I skipped what should have the walk-run I've had in a week.

Today, however, I did get up at 5:30, dressed in the appropriate layers, and went to the gym. Since Thursday has been deemed a cross-training day, I cycled for 20 min. and did the weights for twenty minutes. This is a good start, but the cross-training workout is not intense. Tomorrow I will walk-run, even if I have to go in the middle of the day.

What I learned on Wednesday:

wear socks to bed

academic work, or the threat of incomplete academic work, is a higher priority than working out

waking up after 7:30 is a lame excuse for not working out

No comments: