Sunday, March 2, 2008

post number twenty-four. fallin' behind and catchin' up

Rather than make three or four short posts, I've decided to cut down on the pretentiousness, and write a long post about my athleticism in the past four days

Week 2, Day 4, Thursday, February 28
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Week 2, Day 5, Friday, February 29
On the great day of leap the beautiful weather enticed me outdoors, where I walked as much as possible while completing errands. I did not run, but did tone in HYPR that afternoon.
biceps: 2 sets of 10 reps, 15 lbs
triceps: 2 sets of 10 reps, 15 lbs.
calves: 2 sets of 20 reps, 60 lbs.
inner thighs: 2 sets of 20 reps, 40 lbs.
outer thighs: 2 sets of 20 reps, 40 lbs.
lower back: 2 sets of 20 reps, 40 lbs.
upper back/shoulders: 2 sets of 12 reps, 20 lbs.
quads: 2 sets of 8 reps, 25 lbs
hamstrings: 2 sets of 12 reps, 25 lbs

Week 2, Day 6, Saturday March 1
I ran the basic 6 reps of 1 min. runs with 3 min. walks. I took a different route with reps 5 and 6, where I would have a more challenging incline but with loose dirt and gravel instead of asphalt and concrete. The natural tracks- grass, sand, dirt, gravel- is supposedly better for human feet, and for me personally, helps me to run with just a little less effort. The run went well, but within the next hour, my back started to cramp at inconvenient times, such as whenever I stretched my arms over the head. Considerate patient boyfriend massaged out most of the kinks, but I could feel some minor ache the rest of the day. Still, it was nothing to cry over or even take ibuprofen.

Week 2, Day 7, Sunday March 2
I started this experiment with the assumption I would not exercise on Sundays, for both religious and health reasons. Every body needs a break, ideally once every seven days. Since I skipped Thursday's workout, expect at least day of no workout due to inclement weather, and had the time, I played tennis with the boyfriend. The back and arms felt fine, contrary to the previous day's episode, and I think the tennis may have done some good. But alas, I fell while attempting to return to volley, scraping my knees and right hand. I'm proud to say I finished the set, although boyfriend was worried, especially since I rolled on my back for melodramatic measure after falling. The knees are fine, but the hand required a cleaning of peroxide and a band-aid. It is still very tender, and I have much to type this week.

Here's to Week 3, between work obligations and a return of winter weather, my perseverance and dedications will be tried. May it be injury-free and full of productivity.

No comments: